When Michelle Carr of Kittery decided to mix up a quick salad for lunch, she never imagined that she would end up with a dead lizard in her mouth.

Carr, a registered nurse, had purchased pre-packaged romaine lettuce hearts, grape tomatoes, red onion and an avocado from Shaw's Supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. After mixing up the produce ingredients, washing them and then draining, she then sat down for lunch. The first bite was a doozy.

“It was longer than my middle finger without its tail. We’re not talking about a spider or a bug or even a little salamander. This was a huge lizard with scales. I instantly wretched and I was revolted because I thought for a second I could’ve eaten its tail,” she told

A biologist friend told Carr that the lizard was most likely from California.

Shaw's immediately informed the supplier, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has started an investigation.