Maine Turnpike’s Winter Night Patrol
These folks wont let you stay stranded.
It's a sign the winter is almost here! Last Sunday the Maine Turnpike's Winter Night Patrol shifts started up. These folks brave the cold so you don't stay stranded!
The Winter Night Patrol Program is staffed by three winter seasonal employees. Their sole purpose is to help stranded motorists on the cold winter nights when a broke down vehicle could be a dangerous situation.
The service is provided from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. daily from through mid-April. The Winter Night Patrol comes to the aid of over 500 vehicles during the winter season.
The Maine Department of Transportation reminds you that winter driving is upon us. Remember:
- Take it slow in ice and snow
- Allow extra room between vehicles
- Avoid using cruise control
- Don’t take chances when pulling out in front of approaching vehicles
- Avoid any sudden or excessive actions while steering, braking or accelerating
- Brake early, brake slowly, brake correctly and never slam on the brakes
- Stay alert