Contact Us

Millinocket Fire Believed Caused By Electrical Problem

Millinocket Firefighters believe the blaze that closed the Katahdin Federal Credit Union in that town today started as an electrical problem above the boiler. Millinocket Fire’s Deputy Chief Thomas Malcolm said when crews first arrived, they found fire above the boiler that had burned through the ceiling to the second floor.

“We made access to the second floor which has an apartment, conference rooms, and offices. The fire had burned through the floor up there and had followed the chases to the chimney and also had gone to the west side of the building. So we had to cut into the walls and cut into the floor to finally get the fire knocked down. We’d just seem to get it knocked down and it would pop up somewhere else.”

Malcolm said two people were taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation but, other than that, there were no injuries. The State Fire Marshall’s office has been called in to investigate, but Malcolm says the fire most likely started as an electrical problem above the boiler.

He says the damage is repairable but it will take some time before the building can be used again. In the meantime, Katahdin Federal Credit Union has set up a temporary office to service its customers.

Crews from Millinocket and East Millinocket battled that blaze.

Best of I-95 FM

Recommended For You

Around the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://i95rocks.com using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Register on I-95 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a member? Sign up here

Register on I-95 FM quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive I-95 Road Crew contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.