"Leaves of three, leave them be", the old timers used to say.

Poison ivy will grow upright out of the ground, eventually turning into a winding vine and making it's way to other things upright, like phone poles and trees.  It lies there waiting for you to walk through it, so that when the resin that it creates, called urushiol, touches your skin, it can eventually turn into a red itchy and sometimes blistering rash.

You may get the rash from holding an outdoor cat that had run through a patch of ivy, or, you may get it just by touching your pant leg after using a weed whacker.

If you happen to touch the ivy, you'll only have just a few minutes to wash it off your skin.  The CDC recommends "rubbing alcohol, specialized poison plant washes, degreasing soap (such as dishwashing soap) or detergent, and lots of water."

So we guess what people have been saying for years is true, and that maybe Tide would work.

If and when a rash does develop, the CDC says to use wet compresses, calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream, and even Benadryl to relieve the symptoms.