The Microwave Turns 46 – 8 Odds Uses
The microwave is 46-year-old’s old. Obviously a kitchen appliance but it also moonlights as a dryer, a cramp reliever, even a gardening tool. Here are a few smart things people are using it for these days:
- It peels vegetables: After washing and cutting tomatoes in half, place them cut-side down in the microwave and heat for five minutes until the skin has shriveled around the edges. Then, gently slide them off with a fork or even your fingernails.
- It warms bath towels: Baby, it’s cold outside! Post-shower, warm up quicker by placing slightly damp towels in a large ziplock bag, then pop them in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
- It gets gum off your clothes: If your kid got chewing gum stuck on their clothes, warm one cup of vinegar in the microwave for a minute or so, then dab it on the gum with a clean cloth until it’s gone. Presto!
- It freshens up packaged food: Don’t toss stale crackers and cereal. Pour on a plate and zap in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- My favorite thing to make is Popcorn using a regular brown paper lunch bag. Put in enough to cover the bottom…set for 3 microwave for minutes and don’t let it go more than 3 seconds between pops once it gets popping.
- And of course, here ‘s the guys who show you what not to do…