The Six States Of California
Where have I been? I read today that a for about one year billionaire venture capitalist Tim Draper has had a dream to split California into six states and now he has gained enough signatures to make the November 2016 ballot.
According to campaign organizers they garnered more than the approximately 808,000 signatures needed to place the measure on the ballot, reported in Reuters.
Draper belief that drive the cause is that the state's 38 million people would be better served by smaller governments and elected officials who would be able to work more closely with their constituents.
Draper said recently in a video post: "If we have six Californias and we in effect dissolve the one we've got, those six allow us a new start,"
The six carved out states would look like this:
- Jefferson: The northern part of the state, including Humboldt and Mendocino counties.
- North California: The wine country counties of Sonoma and Napa, as well as the Sierra Nevada region.
- Silicon Valley: Including San Francisco, San Jose and most of what's considered the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Central California: The vast central valley farm region, including Tulare and Fresno counties.
- West California: Including Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.
- South California: Including what's called the Inland Empire of San Bernadino and Riverside, plus San Diego.
Not all Californians are for this new plan so we’ll all have to wait and see.