It’s National Golf Day, So Where Are The Best Courses In Maine?
I had to chuckle to myself the other day as I was out walking. I had gone to the Bangor Municipal Golf Course there was a guy on the green, or somewhat green, practicing his putting and I thought, the second sign of spring, first the robins and then the golfers.
So here we are on National Golf Day so I popped onto Golf Digest to see where they think the best courses in Maine reside. The closest course to us they felt earned a nod is Kebo Valley in Bar Harbor followed by the Samoset in Rockport. The rest are a bit of a drive but if you want the best here are their top 5.
- Belgrade Lakes G.C.
- Sugarloaf G.C.
- Sunday River G.C.
- Samoset Resort G.C.
- Portland G.C.
Click here to see the entire list. Now you know when they aren't smashing guitars on stage a few of our favorite rockers like to unwind with 18 holes. So which of your favorite rockers do you compare to on the links? Short List has the numbers.
- Alice Cooper has a 5.3 Handicap and he says golf saved his life. He even wrote a book about it called, ”Alice Cooper: Golf Monster – A Rock ’n’ Roller’s 12 Steps To Becoming a Golf Addict”.
- Robby Krieger of the Doors handicap is 6.8 and he likes to play in Florida .
- Pink Floyds Roger Waters has a 11.7 handicap and enjoys one of the world’s best golf courses Sunningdale in Berkshire England.
- Bon Jovi’s drummer Tico Torres was taught golf by Wille Nelson and his handicap is 12.1
- Eddie Van Halen has an 18 handicap and is the co-founder of a golf course in Essex.
- And last on my list is Meatloaf with a 24 handicap, paradise by the golf cart lights I guess.