Deadline For Moose Permit Lottery Applications This Week
Hunters seeking a moose permit have until Thursday to submit their application.
The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is reminding hunters they have until 11:59PM on May 14 to apply for the 2020 Moose Permit Lottery. Applications are only being accepted online.
To Apply You'll Need:
- Your current hunting license if you are applying with a Superpack license
- Personal info (name, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, etc.)
- Sub-permittee information (if applicable)
- Credit or debit card
Once completed you'll receive a confirmation email indicating that you successfully entered.
Since 1998, applicants receive bonus points on their name for each consecutive year entered without being drawn. Each bonus point gives you another chance at being selected. The more years someone enters, and isn't selected, the more bonus points are added per-year.
Here's the breakdown:
- One bonus point is acquired each year for five years.
- Two per-year for years 6-10,
- Three per-year for years 11-15
- 10 per year for years 16 and beyond
In 2011 a rule was enacted that an applicant can skip one year and not lose any acquired points. So if you applied in 2018, but didn't enter last year, you didn't lose your points.
Wildlife officials made a change to how results from the 2020 Maine Moose Permit Lottery will be announced. The year's lottery will be broadcast online, on June 13, at 1 p.m. All of the results will be posted online by 6 p.m. that day.
The moose lottery drawing was to be held at Sky Lodge in Jackman. The plan is for the venue to host the event in 2021.