Monday marks the start of the 2022 Maine moose hunting season.
Maine's moose season is underway. Monday, September 26, marked the start of the season in certain wildlife management districts. The Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife issued 3,968 permits were be issued this year. 550 cow permits were issued for the Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt. 71,966 applications for moose permits were received this year.
2022 Maine Moose Season:
- September 26-October 1 - WMD: 1-6, 10, 11, 18, 19, 27, 28
- October 10-15 - WMD: 1-14, 17-19, 27, 28
- October 24-29 - WMD: 1-6, 8
- October 29 - WMD: 15, 16 (Maine resident moose permit holders only)
- October 31-November 26 - WMD: 15, 16
- October 17-22 - Adaptive Unit Week 1
- October 24-29 - Adaptive Unit Week 2
- October 31-November 5 - Adaptive Unit Week 3
IFW's Adaptive Moose Hunt will help biologists determine if moose density reduction can break or lessen winter tick impacts to moose in Maine. The cow permits were issued in a particular area of Zone 4, where the study will be conducted. All the moose harvested in the study area will be analyzed by biologists. To learn more about the Adaptive Unit Moose Hunt, check out our in-depth article.
The 2022 Moose Lottery Drawing was held in Jackman back in June. Both the 2020 and 2021 drawings were conducted virtually via YouTube. The town of Jackman was named to host the drawing prior to the COVID pandemic.