A 1½-year-old Calais boy was seriously burned yesterday when a flammable liquid was poured on a campfire, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.

Wyatt Chandler is being treated for burns to 60 percent of his body at Mass General in Boston.

Fire investigators say the boy was sitting with his mother, Courtnie Chandler, near the campfire in the backyard of their home at 2 Pleasant Street.

The family was planning on cooking hot dogs and s’mores and to intensify the fire, the boy’s father – Joshua Barnard – started to pour a flammable liquid from a plastic bottle onto the fire. The flame then traveled up the stream to the bottle and ignited it. Barnard dropped the container and its contents spilled on his son. The boy was first flown to Bangor and then flown to Boston.

Fire Marshals advise never to throw a flammable liquid on a fire as the liquid or its vapors can explode.

More From WWMJ Ellsworth Maine