What Are Those Service Patrol Vehicles On Interstate-295
Traveling south? That stretch of Interstate between Freeport and Scarborough just got a whole lot friendlier.
The State of Maine has contracted with a company called AutoBase to provide "safety service patrols" on Interstate 295 between Freeport and Scarborough. The new service begins today, Monday, December 3rd.
Autobase is a female-owned company that has been contracting with other states and organizations since 2003, and will be operating custom-built patrol trucks on I-295. According to a Maine Department of Transportation press release, the company will:
- Move vehicles: Expedite quick clearance practices using a push bumper or towing strategy to remove vehicles (vehicle with gross weight of up to 10,000 pound) and large debris from the travel portion of the roadway.
- Remove obstacles and objects from the roadway to include debris and other hazards.
- Provide fuel up to one gallon.
- Provide water to person(s) being assisted or for overheated vehicles.
- Change flat tires.
- Provide mechanical assistance such as jump starts, minor mechanical repairs, tire inflation.
- Assist stranded motorists with communication by allowing calls to repair facilities, other business or individual to assist motorist.
- Provide a ride to a safe place or drop-off location to wait if vehicle is disabled.
- Clean up minor vehicle fluid spills.
- Share information with other responders.
- Request and confirm emergency services have been contacted when warranted.
- Protect the incident scene, when necessary, with the appropriate temporary traffic control devices.
- Assist other responding agencies at the scene such as law enforcement, fire and rescue, Emergency Medical Services and other response agencies as needed.