Man Faces Litany Of Charges After Sideswiping Police Cruiser
A Beddington man was arrested after allegedly sideswiping an Ellsworth police cruiser with his pickup truck on Wednesday.
Jess Gerrish, 38, faces charges including eluding and aggravated assault after police attempted to pull over the pickup which they say was operating erratically on High Street. Gerrish, the lone occupant of the truck, also was not wearing a seat belt, police said.
After initially pulling over, Gerrish allegedly sped away and intentionally swerved into another responding cruiser, according to police. Police discontinued the pursuit at that time.
The Washington County Sheriff's Department later located the vehicle on Route 9 in Township 22. Gerrish was taken into custody.
There were no injuries. The Ellsworth police cruiser sustained $1,000 in damages.
Gerrish faces 11 charges in all:
- Failure to stop for a police officer
- Driving to endanger
- Reckless conduct
- Criminal speeding
- Leaving the scene of a property damage accident
- Failure to report an accident by quickest means
- Refusing to sign a vehicular summons
- Attempted aggravated assault
- Summons for not wearing a seat belt